Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Empty Nest Syndrome

Every day for the past three weeks, I've said good morning and good night to that fire at the rim of the Bird's Nest. I could always count on seeing the distant glowing light from my elevator lobby, when I left in the morning and when I came back at night. And every day, that flame sent me off to work fired up and welcomed me home with its warm embrace. Yesterday morning, it didn't.

That's a brief synopsis for the upcoming Korean drama, "Please, BOCOG, Give Me A Little More Time" (working title). In all seriousness, it's been fun being in Beijing for the Olympics and I feel a little empty seeing it come to an end. Not to mention the closing ceremony hardly provided the catharsis that I needed to reach closure. What happened to the grandiose theatrics that we've come to expect and crave? Contemporary song-and-dance routines - yes, even with Wang Leehom and Rain - are just grossly inadequate now that I know I could be ooh-aahing over thousands of men in color-changing spandex suits forming crazy shapes. Olympics, come back! I'll be waiting for you in my elevator lobby ... until I go to Shanghai tomorrow.

But don't fret, fire, you are still burning and will always burn in my heart. I can feel you. Unless that feeling is from the disgustingly greasy Peking duck I had. Please, no more Peking duck.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel the same.

peking duck is nice though.

Sean said...

wo <3 bei jing kao ya.

wo <3 shang hai.

you are so lucky.

Anonymous said...

so when are you coming back :O

Anonymous said...

Well said.