Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Law of Association

I'm turning into a local. I spit on the street, I hang out in smoky Internet cafes all day, and nasty bathrooms don't bother me nearly as much as they should. In a few more weeks, I may start lifting my shirt in public and fanning my belly.

In other news, Beijing is basically back to late-July routineness after the climactic opening ceremony. Except for areas immediately adjacent to the Bird's Nest and events that use public roads as venues (marathon and cycling), the ominous cordons are gone. Considering the craziness of the anticipation that led up to 08/08/08, it's pleasantly surprising how little people here actually care for the Olympics. If you came to the city not knowing that the Games have already started, it could take you a while to find out.

1 comment:

dan said...

it is just sporting after all