Monday, August 18, 2008

PHELPSTRUCK! And then struck again

I encountered greatness, and I don't mean I looked in the mirror.

WATCH:



Watch again:



First one was at a Speedo party last night for all of the sponsored Olympic swimmers. I couldn't recognize any besides Ian Thorpe, Ryan Lochte and Dara Torres, but I'm pretty sure I was within feet of most big-timers. I'm also pretty sure Ian Thorpe, who didn't even compete this time, just came to get laid, because he came alone and left 20 minutes later not-so-alone (see below). We camped out for six hours outside the club until Michael Phelps made a late appearance at around 11:30 p.m. and refused to speak to the media. Apparently LeBron, Kobe and the rest of the U.S. basketball team came too, but they went through the back door. So close. Security was intense. I actually heard one security guard say to another, "If you see any Xinjiang types, just drag them away. Don't hesitate." Not surprising, but still pretty shocking when you hear it articulated.



(Drunk girl gets Thorpedoed, Mama Phelps)

Second one was at the post-events press conference just now. I wanted to ask him a question so I can say that Michael Phelps knows I exist, but precious time was lost on reporter-turned-comedians asking deep questions like "What is your definition of love?" and "I was just wondering, and I am sure your fans would also like to know, heh, what is your opinion on the debate about light being a particle and not a wave? Heh heh, what do you reckon?" To his PR team's credit, most answers ended up being about how much he loves his mother and how much orgasmic disbelief he's in.



BONUS REEL: Phelps answers a question about his future plans, looking toward London 2012



EDIT: I've been informed that the douchy guy I witnessed is indeed Grant Hackett. Bad information from another passer-by. My bad.

4 comments:

dan said...

what kind of journalist doesnt even ask a question?

congrats on your brush with greatness though :)

kevinlee127 said...

nice... are u sure that's thorpe? looks more like grant hackett

Anonymous said...

I think thats Hackett too.

Sean said...

michael phelps kind of looks tool-ish there. but i guess every 23 yr old looks tool-ish. at least that's what i say to myself every morning in the mirror.